Antibiotics for Pets - Essential Information from PetScripts.com.au
Welcome to PetScripts.com.au, your trusted online pet pharmacy in Australia. As responsible pet owners, it's crucial to understand when and why a veterinarian might prescribe antibiotics, the common brands and types available in Australia, proper dosage administration, and essential information on storing and disposing of pet antibiotics safely.
When and Why Veterinarians Prescribe Antibiotics
Veterinarians prescribe antibiotics to pets when they suffer from bacterial infections. These infections can occur in various body systems, including respiratory, urinary, skin, and gastrointestinal tracts. Common indications for antibiotics include wounds, abscesses, ear infections, and bacterial pneumonia. It's important to note that antibiotics are ineffective against viral infections, so proper diagnosis by a veterinarian is crucial before starting any treatment.
Common Brands and Types of Antibiotics for Pets in Australia
PetScripts.com.au offers a wide range of quality antibiotics approved for use in pets in Australia. You must provide a valid prescription from an Australian veterinarian to order antibiotics from PetScripts.com.au. Some common brands you may find on our platform include:
- Amoxicillin: A broad-spectrum penicillin antibiotic effective against a wide range of bacterial infections.
- Clavulanic Acid/Amoxicillin: This combination enhances the effectiveness of amoxicillin, particularly against certain resistant bacteria.
- Cephalexin: A cephalosporin antibiotic used to treat skin and urinary tract infections.
- Enrofloxacin: Effective against many gram-negative and some gram-positive bacteria, making it suitable for treating complicated infections.
- Doxycycline: A tetracycline antibiotic used for tick-borne diseases and other bacterial infections.
Dosage as Recommended by the Veterinarian
Proper dosage is essential to ensure the safety and efficacy of antibiotics for your pet. The dosage will be determined by the veterinarian based on your pet's weight, age, overall health, and the type of infection being treated. It's crucial to follow the veterinarian's instructions carefully and complete the full course of antibiotics, even if your pet's symptoms improve. Prematurely stopping the treatment could lead to antibiotic resistance and a recurrence of the infection.
Storage and Disposal of Pet Antibiotics
To maintain the potency of antibiotics and ensure your pet's safety, follow these storage guidelines:
- Store antibiotics at room temperature, away from direct sunlight and moisture.
- Keep them out of reach of children and pets to avoid accidental ingestion.
- Avoid using antibiotics past their expiration date, as they may lose effectiveness.
When it's time to dispose of expired or unused antibiotics, do so responsibly to protect the environment:
- Do not flush antibiotics down the toilet or pour them into drains.
- Check with your local pharmacy or veterinarian for safe disposal options.
- Some pharmacies offer medication take-back programs, where you can safely dispose of medications.
At PetScripts.com.au, we prioritize your pet's health and well-being. Understanding antibiotics for pets, including when they are prescribed, common brands available in Australia, proper dosage, and safe storage and disposal, will ensure your furry friend receives the best care possible. Always consult a veterinarian before administering any medication to your pet, and count on PetScripts.com.au for all your trusted online pet pharmacy needs.